Artificial intelligence in medicine is a great idea that can greatly improve the patient – doctor communication and healthcare professionals. One of the greatest benefits of AI especially in technology is that it enhances the capacity to process & store large amounts of data in a mainstreamed and standardized manner and translate that information into functional tools.
Artificial Intelligence, a great addition to the expertise of the human factor in healthcare
Artificial intelligence is of great importance in healthcare because it can collect data over time, access data stored in other computers and go over data written on the internet, online books and research notes in a matter of seconds, and make an educated decision based on all the data it’s been over.
When implement new technology as a process in our practice many things can go wrong due to lack of knowledge or human error during the implementation phase of the technology. As much as AI as a new technology can be of benefit to healthcare providers it can also prove to be disruptive later down the line mainly due to human error in the past. Before we adopt any new process or technology it’s important to fully understand it in order to avoid critical or even fatal mistakes.
To make AI as efficient and effective as possible in the future some steps should be taken:
- AI should be used to assist healthcare givers, not always to fully automate the process.
- The adopted platform should be fully understood by all who will be operating the AI system.
- Engage and involve students in discussions and real time practice with AI systems. The sooner they start practicing the better.
- When implementing the system, have a professional oversee the whole procedure.
Benefits of Artificial Intelligence:
Even though AI has been around for a while, it’s been seeing a real boom and progress the past few years. Even though AI has advanced to a great extent, AI system cannot operate fully by themselves or think as a human would, at least not yet. Still, AI offers the following great benefits to healthcare providers and practices all around the world:
- Fast & Accurate diagnostics: Some diseases require immediate action otherwise they will become more severe. Luckily AI systems have the capability to learn from previous cases and store knowledge, as well as access stored knowledge anywhere around the globe. After some studies or research on artificial neural networks, researchers says that it is scientifically proven that these networks can diagnose fast & accurate some other diseases includes eye problems,malignant melanoma etc.
- Reduce Human errors: AI may be most effective at reducing human error. After all human beings are emotional and sensitive beings, so any emotional trauma or stress on the doctor’s side might pose a threat to the patient undergoing the operation. AI could be the best assistant as it would monitor the whole procedure and greatly decrease stressful situations.
- Cost Reduction: With the emerging technologies including artificial intelligence, the patient can get doctor assistance without visiting hospitals/clinics which results in cost cutting. AI assistants provide online care & assist patients to add their data more frequently via online medical records etc.
- Virtual Presence: This technology also known as Telemedicine which allows specialists to assist their patients who live at remote locations. Using a remote presence robot, doctors can engage with their staff & patients in hospitals/clinics & assist or clear their queries.
These are just some of the benefits known to us for now. As AI progresses we are most likely to keep seeing many new breakthroughs in science and medicine.